Placing videos on YouTube can be just for fun, but it can also be very lucrative. This article explains how to get started, and how to optimize your channel. It is recommended that you begin by opening your browser at YouTube, and follow the step by step process below. (create as you read)
Signing Up For YouTube
If you are already signed up, you will want to skip to Optimize Your Channel section below.
1. On the top of the YouTube home page you will see “Create Account” in the upper right hand corner, and on a blue button on the upper left of the page. You can begin by clicking on either of these two.
2. On the next page you will be asked several questions for which you will need to fill in the blanks.. For user name I recommend using your name (if it is available/ just below the user name box, is a “check availability link”) to make it easy for people to find you. Remember the e-mail address you enter for that question, your user ID and password you enter. Click “sign up”.
3. You will then be asked to confirm your email address before you can proceed. I recommend you keep this page open on your computer until after completing the next step so that you can make changes to your email if you run into problems..
4. Simply go to the email address you entered in step two, open the email from YouTube, and follow the instructions to confirm you are, in fact, the owner of that email. If you can not find their message, check your spam folder. (Still not finding it? No problem, you still have the page open on your computer where you can check to see if you entered the wrong address.)
5. You should now be signed up, and ready to begin optimizing your channel.
Optimize Your Channel
1. Sign into your account using your user name and password you signed up with.
2. In the upper right hand corner you will see your user name, click on the arrow next to your name, and in the drop down box click channel…there is your channel which you will be decorating and adding information to in the following steps.
3. Return to your user name in the upper right hand corner, click on the arrow, and select account. In the left hand corner you will see several options, and as you click through them you can set up information to be displayed on your channel. Be sure to “save changes”, and check your channel to see how it is starting to look.
4. In the Profile section be sure to upload a picture of yourself, describe yourself, and inter your website or blog so that others can follow you across the web. You can add more web addresses in the “describe yourself box”. Don’t forget to save your changes by clicking on that option.
5. After completing information in that section, click on “my channel” in the bar above your profile. There you will want to click on the “Settings button”. click make channel visible, fill in the title, and add channel tags to help search engines find your content. Save your changes.
6. Next click Themes and choose the theme you want displayed on your channel. Be sure to check your channel to make sure it is easy on the eyes.
7. Click on Modules. In this section I recommend checking comments, subscribers, subscriptions, friends and recent activities. You may decide to choose more, but too much can make your channel so busy that it is hard to read.
8. Fill out information in the Videos and Play lists section: As you fill out these sections you can switch back and forth to your channel to see how it looks.
You should now be ready to start uploading videos to share with family and friends, or to begin (or advance) your internet business.
If you are interested in more free information about:
1. Making money with your YouTube videos
2. Learning about uploading videos, and the best camera to use
3. The YouTube Partnering opportunity